Comm Eye Health Vol. 31 No. 104 2018 pp 96. Published online 11 February 2019.
Key community eye health messages
- Identify patients in whom cataract surgery will be complicated or difficult: this avoids unwelcome surprises in the operating theatre
- Manage patient’s expectations. Explain what to expect after surgery (in terms of the visual outcome and the potential need for further treatment) and obtain informed consent.
- Anticipate potential difficulties
- Check that all equipment, instruments and consumables are sterilised and available
- Brief the surgical team thoroughly
- Ensure that inflammation is under control
- Explain to patients how important it is that they take their postoperative medication and come back for follow-up visits